Saturday, February 20, 2010

Why do I Keep Missing The Fairey Murals?

With the snow melting now, the Shepard Fairey murals are reportedly going up. I know this because I follow the CAC on Facebook and Twitter. For the past few days a number of slide shows have developed showcasing the work around town. The slide show is a great marketing tool for the museum and the show. It is a good way to let me know where this "street artist" is at the moment and where I can see the murals....er...without having to go to the museum. (hmm...)

However, while keeping an eye on the slide show reporting, I realized I've walked or driven past at least 2 or 3 of these murals in the past week, but never noticed them. I think perhaps this is because I've seen so many pictures of these murals in other cities so don't notice these as anything new in my personal visual landscape.

As copies of other murals in other cities, the Fairey murals here in Cincinnati seem to be more like the old Mail Pouch Tobacco ads, only without the nostalgia.

Perhaps that's the point....to copy the commercial.

1 comments:

Alan Pocaro said...

I just stumbled upon your blog, and I love it! I couldn't agree more with your "snobbish" point of view. It is refreshing to find someone else who takes art (and criticism) seriously. I'm going to shamelessly suggest that you read my review of "Supply and Demand" at my site www.modern-casual.com As an artist and adjunct professor, I am trying to add my voice to help foster a serious dialogue here in Cincinnati.